Friday, November 1, 2013

Fish Head/Bone Soup

The first day I met Khune Anapon he was boiling something in a little tin pot. I asked him what he was making he told me fish head soup. He was using the pieces of some fish he got somwhere, the head and a bunch of bones. He kept on mixing this very meagre dish as it cooked, all I could see was a blacked tin with what looked like a small jaw bone and eye. He kept mixing and mixing and mixing it some more but there was nothing there to eat, it was so low, so lacking, trying to stir those bones into some food. I will keep the memory, live with the look and sound of him stirring that tin pot for many years. How can people live like this?

When  I was shooting I gave Khune Anapon some money as I do with all the people that I photograph under the freeway. Later on Anapon limped off and came back with 2 eggs and a bit of rice, I am not sure if he used the money I gave him, maybe. Khune Anapon walks with a big wooden stick, he has a gaping open but dried up wound on his deformed left foot, it looks healed but he walks with a limp and uses the cane stick.